15 Best Golf Vacation Destinations
Perfect your swing and play the greens at these exclusive golf resorts in the U.S. and across the pond.
From scenic views to award-winning courses, these ultimate golf vacation destinations from Scottsdale to Scotland will have you packing your clubs up for a getaway to the greens.
DEER VALLEY, UTAH
Deer Valley is located in the iconic mountain town of Park City, Utah. Originally built on the promise of glittering ore, its real fortune lies in the mountains that surround it.
- Designed by golf architects Gene and Casey Bates
- 550+ feet of elevation change
- Hole 10 features a 297-foot elevation change from tee to green
- Hole 18 is a true island green surrounded by the Willow Draw Stream
KIAWAH ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA
An oasis of untouched natural beauty and renowned hospitality for those seeking a retreat into adventure and luxury. Kiawah Island holds perfectly preserved maritime forests, sand dunes, and marshes where turtles, whitetail deer, and seabirds abound.
- The Ocean Course just hosted the 2021 PGA Championship. Since 1991, The Ocean Course has hosted a Ryder Cup (1991), two PGA Championships (2012 & 2021), and a handful of other world-renowned professional tournaments
- Rated #24 in Golf Digest’s Top 100 US Courses
- The Ocean Course is the crown jewel of Kiawah Island. In fact, it features more seaside holes than any other course in the Northern Hemisphere. Although it was originally planned to sit behind the dunes, designer Pete Dye’s wife, Alice, suggested raising the entire course to give players unobstructed views of Kiawah’s stunning coastline from every hole
- Named “America’s Toughest Course” by Golf Digest
- From one round to the next, a player can experience up to an 8-club difference on holes depending upon the wind’s direction and strength
- Hole 1 proves as the narrowest fairway on the course; however, the furthest from the water, so with low wind, players must keep their tee shots accurate to avoid trouble
- Following an extensive 10-month renovation in tandem with Gary Player Design, Cougar Point reopened in 2017, to stellar reviews
- Features dramatic marsh vistas and superior playability factors
- As its signature hole, the 180-yard, par-3 6th hole plays over the Kiawah River, depending on the level of the water, with a marsh in play
LAGUNA BEACH, CALIFORNIA
Laguna Beach is a small coastal city in Orange County, California known for its many art galleries, coves, beaches, and scenic golf courses.
- Par-70 championship resort golf course with sweeping sea views and variety of play
- Named “Distinguished Golf Destination” by Boardroom Magazine
- Named “2016 – 2017 Premier Golf Resort Awards Gold Winner” by Golf Magazine
- As one of the signature holes, the 5th hole plays long uphill, hugging one of the more scenic water features on the course with a green that is tightly protected by bunkers
- Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club is a public-access daily fee facility featuring an 18-hole championship-length golf course designed by PGA Tour professional, British Open Champion, former Ryder Cup Captain, and former World #1 Tom Lehman, and golf course architect Casey O’Callaghan
- Set amidst Trabuco Creek and The Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo, the 240-acre Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club provides an unforgettable golf experience on par with South Orange County's finest high-end clubs
- Hole 3 boasts a challenging 600-yard par-5
LAKE TAHOE, CALIFORNIA
Straddling the border of California and Nevada, Lake Tahoe is one of the largest, deepest, and clearest freshwater lakes in the world. A top winter destination for skiing and snowboarding, Tahoe offers an abundance of outdoor activities, including exceptional golf, from spring through autumn.
- Since its creation by George Fazio in 1968, and its later renovation by his nephew, world-renowned golf architect Tom Fazio, Edgewood has captured the imaginations and tested the mettle of golfers of all skill levels from around the globe. 1980’s USGA US Public Links Championship was held here, as was 1985’s US Senior Open Championship, and it is home to the annual American Century Celebrity Championship
- Rated as one of Golf Digest’s Top Courses
- The par 3 17th hole is definitely recognized as the course’s signature hole which is most recognized as the waterfront par 3 that is always shown on TV during the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament
THE GOLF COURSES AT INCLINE VILLAGE
- The Championship Course is a challenging full-length track with views of the lake, and the Mountain Course is a fun executive layout that winds through the forest
- #10 in Golf Advisor’s “Best Courses in Nevada”
- A fixture on any “Top Rated Courses in the Tahoe Area” list
- The best view on the course is afforded from the 7th tee where Lake Tahoe sparkles in the background while the surrounding mountains provide extra eye candy
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
One of the world’s top travel destinations, Las Vegas is a Mecca for entertainment, restaurants, nightclubs, gambling, shopping, people watching, and great desert golf.
- Features stunning Red Rock Canyon views and rugged natural landscape
- Hole 2 is a par-3 with a tee shot of 200-yards to a desert island green
- Host of PGA Tour Champions Las Vegas Senior Classic from 1997-1999 and Shriner’s Hospitals for Children Open from 2000-2006
- Owned and operated by the Las Vegas Paiute Tribe, it’s the first multi-course facility on Native American land
- Ranked in Top 15 of Best Courses You Can Play in Nevada by Golfweek Magazine
- Snow Course boasts the most scenic par-3s with play over a vast water feature
In addition to world-class sightseeing like Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben, London boasts worthwhile golf courses within easy reach of the big city.
- An hour south of London, Walton Heath is one of the world’s most highly regarded golf clubs, famous for its rich history and the quality of its two exceptionally challenging heathland layouts, described by Jack Nicklaus as “wonderfully pure”
- The Old Course features a unique and intimidating first hole: a 253-yard par-3
- The New Course is consistently ranked in UK and Ireland’s Top 50 Courses
- The Ryder Cup was hosted at Walton Health Golf Club in 1981
- This course also hosted a tournament on the European Tour on five separate occasions
- Walton Heath hosted the British Masters in 2018 and is scheduled to host the Women’s British Open next year
- #72 golf course in the world by Golf Digest’s World Top 100 Courses (2020)
- One of the sternest tests and most memorable rounds
- A regular host of The Open Championship
- Voted 218 Best Golf Course in Scotland at the Scottish Tourism Awards
- The closing hole is one of the most well-known in championship golf
- Located just seven miles from the city of London, Sundridge Park has two championship courses and a magnificent clubhouse
- The East Course has been a qualifying venue for The Open Championship; several holes traverse the River Kyd Brook and play around the white facade of the Sundridge Park Mansion
- The West Course plays down to the River Quaggy, incorporates the contours of the parkland, is largely tree-lined, and delivers views of London’s famous landmarks
LOS CABOS, MEXICO
Located at the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California Peninsula, Los Cabos is a 20-mile resort corridor of beach-front properties and championship golf courses.
- A 7,085-yard course along the coastline and desert foothills
- Voted one of the “World’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses” by Golf Digest
- Won “Best New International Golf Course" in 2014
- Golf Inc’s Development of the Year in 2014
- The 5th hole is one of the most famous golf courses around the world. This ocean view par 4 offers golfers two options: Driver over the cliffs straight to the green, or safe play iron to funnel down the fairway
- A Davis Love III-designed links-style course set among dramatic sand dunes
- Currently rated as the Best Course in México by Golf Digest
- Ranked as the 36th best course in the world by Golf Magazine in 2019
- Playing directly towards the ocean, the 17th descends gradually to a tiered green that shows off its curves late in the day when the shadows take center stage
- #36 in the world by Golf Digest in 2019. In the 2020 ranking, they came down to #34
Known as “The Valley Isle,” Maui is the second largest Hawaiian island and has been voted "Best Island in the U.S." by Condé Nast Traveler readers for more than 20 years.
THE PLANTATION COURSE AT KAPALUA BAY
- Currently ranked the #1 Golf Course in Hawaii
- Designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw on the slopes of the West Maui Mountains
- Dramatic ocean views from virtually every hole
- Home to the PGA Tour’s Sentry Tournament of Champions
- Features three award-winning courses and gorgeous vistas
- Has full-service pro shops and the outstanding Wailea Golf Academy
- Earned over 170 honors for accolades like course design, customer service, and women inclusivity
- Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. in 1994
Scottsdale is a premier desert getaway with a charming Old Town district and award-winning restaurants, resorts, spas, and golf.
- Features two 18-hole courses stretching through the natural ravines and foothills near Pinnacle Peak
- Design inspired by the Sonoran Desert landscape for a Southwestern experience
- Named “Top 100 Courses to Play in the USA” by Golf Magazine
- The third hole, par 5, is a long 564-yard beast that is home to a ghost rock smack dab in the middle of the fairway… beware!
- Two championship courses surrounded by the stunning McDowell Mountains
- The Stadium Course plays host to an annual PGA Tour event
- The Stadium Course 16th hole is famous for the cheering crowds during the PGA Tour’s Waste Management Phoenix Open
- An exceptional 36-hole facility situated on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, with both courses designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw
- The O’Odham Course features a links design with grasslands and unique bunkering, while the Piipaash Course Offers a more traditional layout with tree-lined fairways and water features
- The 5th hole at The O’Odham Course features a driveable par 4 for those avid golfers who like to play with fire
Snowmass Village, near Aspen, is a nature wonderland that attracts skiers and snowboarders during the winter but is as inviting to outdoor enthusiasts and golfers in the summer.
- A Jim Engh-designed traditional Irish links course with panoramic vistas and challenging elevation changes
- Features an open design following Rocky Mountain landscape
- The opening hole offers some of the most beautiful, 360-degree mountain views
- A parkland style course marked by undulating greens and water features on 14 holes
- Ranked one of the Best Municipal Courses in Colorado by Golf Magazine and one of the longest, at 7,165-yards
- The third hole par-3 offers a challenging shot with a surrounding water feature
ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND
The “Home of Golf,” St. Andrews sits atop the bucket list of any keen golfer. The town owns and operates seven courses, including the world’s most famous, the Old Course, and there is no shortage of other unforgettable golf experiences nearby.
- Seven distinctive courses, as well as The Himalayas — a rollicking putting course
- Historic Old Course is a fixture of The Open Championship (British Open)
- The courses’ 1st and 18th holes are some of the most photographed in the world
- In 2020 ranked #6 in the world by Golf Digest’s World Top 100 Courses
- A testing and memorable course, and regular host of The Open Championship
- Voted “2018 Best Golf Course in Scotland” by Scottish Tourism Awards
- A challenging last hole is best known for Jean Van de Velde’s meltdown at the 1999 Open
- In 2020 ranked #20 in the world by Golf Digest’s World Top 100 Courses
- A host course for the annual Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
- Named “2020 Golf Course of the Year in Scotland” by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators
- Its signature hole is an epic 606-yard par-5
- In 2020 ranked #27 in the world by Golf Digest’s World Top 100 Courses.
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, COLORADO
Steamboat Springs another Rocky Mountain high priority for golfers who enjoy beautiful scenery, courses that appeal to all golfers, and the added bonus of more yardage when playing at altitude.
- A Keith Foster design with vistas of the Yampa Valley and Mount Werner on every hole
- The first golf course in Colorado to achieve Audubon International Signature certification
- Rated the “#4 Golf Course You Can Play in Colorado in 2019" by Golfweek
- A challenging 15th hole is a challenge with bunkers guarding the pin’s undulated home
- Fish Creek runs through this Robert Trent Jones II layout, which boasts 66 bunkers and large, undulating greens
- A recipient of multiple awards including four-star ratings and "Best Places to Play in Colorado" from Golf Digest
- The first hole at Rollingstone offers some of the best mountain views in all of Colorado
Tucson is one of the golf capitals of the U.S., with more than 40 courses in and around the town, including the current host course of a PGA TOUR Champions Tour event.
- The Catalina Course requires accuracy with eight lakes and 80 bunkers
- Home of the PGA Tour Champions Cologuard Classic
- The Sonoran Course is a desert-style course designed by 2006 Ryder Cup Captain Tom Lehman
- Kids play free!
THE HIGHLANDS AT DOVE MOUNTAIN
- Voted in the Top 25 U.S. Value Golf Courses
- Extensively renovated to resurface 18 putting greens, rework the practice putting green, and rebuild the sand traps
- Every hole boasts unobstructed views of the surrounding Marana Valley
TURKS AND CAICOS
Composed of more than 40 small islands and cays in the Caribbean, Turks and Caicos is known for its turquoise waters and white sand beaches.
ROYAL TURKS AND CAICOS GOLF CLUB
- Features a natural, rugged layout with seven lakes, 1000+ palm trees, and 20 species of birds — plus migrating flamingos
- Named among the “Top 10 Courses for Golf in the Caribbean” by Travel + Leisure
- The 17th par three offers an island green approach to users which forces perfect accuracy off the tee
BEAVER CREEK, COLORADO
Beaver Creek Resort is a perennial favorite family destination in the Vail Valley, a resort for all seasons that offers an abundance of year-round activities.
- A Robert Trent Jones, Jr. 1982 design with impeccably maintained greens and array of Rocky Mountain wildlife
- Play between majestic pines, along a cascading creek, and from elevated tees
- 15th hole offers panoramic mountain views and a historic barn
WHISTLER-BLACKCOMB, BRITISH COLUMBIA
A breathtaking two-hour drive up the Sea-to-Sky Highway north from Vancouver, British Columbia, Whistler Village is a destination unto itself, encompassing an array of lodging options, shops, cafés, restaurants, and bars, and four trek-worthy golf courses.
Rated Canada’s “Number One Golf Destination” by Golf Digest, Whistler is home to four distinctive courses:
- A Jack Nicklaus Signature Design
- Voted the” Best Golf Course in Whistler by Locals” - 2013-2018
- “Best New Course in Canada” – Golf Digest, 1996
- The signature hole, 17, at Nicklaus North also happens to be one of its most demanding. From the tee, you're faced with a bunkered island green surrounded by Green Lake and framed by snow-capped mountains. Only an aggressive, well-thought-out tee shot will make par possible
- A Robert Cupp layout at the base of Mount Currie
- Named “#5 in the West (North America)” by Fairway + Greens Magazine
- Voted the #14 Best Public Course in Canada by SCOREGolf in 2021
- Arnold Palmer’s first ever Canadian design
- Received a four-star ranking by Golf Digest
- Named “27th Top Public Course in Canada” by The Globe and Mail
- The number 2 par 4 is one of the hardest holes at the course as a long narrow hole that offers even experienced golfers a chance at glory
FAIRMONT CHATEAU WHISTLER GOLF CLUB
- Robert Trent Jones Jr.’s pre-eminent mountain design
- Named “#1 Best Resort Course in Canada” by Travel + Leisure
- Listed in the Best of the International Golf Resorts by Robb Report
- The Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club’s Hole #8 is both scenic and daunting. The elevated tee deck makes for a beautiful backdrop of Whistler Mountain, with the Tantalus Mountain Range in the far distance